Current Affairs Quiz: 15th November 2020
“Ayodhya lights record number of diyas, retains Guinness World Record for second year.”
- The north Indian city of Ayodhya kept its Guinness World Record for a second year by lighting 6,06,569 oil lamps (diyas) and keeping them burning for at least 45 minutes as part of Deepavali celebrations.
- Thousands of volunteers lit the lamps along the banks of river Saryu, through lanes and at houses as dusk fell on November 13 in Ayodhya.
- The city lit 4,09,000 oil lamps last year.
- Uttar Pradesh State government spokesman Shishir Kumar said the lamps were a stunning spectacle for thousands of visitors who thronged the river bank ignoring coronavirus social distancing norms.
- Representatives from Guinness World Records handed over a certificate to U.P. Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath after monitoring the ceremony with drone-mounted cameras.
Source: The Hindu
“Lonar lake in Maharashtra and Keetham lake in UP added to Ramsar sites.”
- Minister of Environment, Forest and Climate Change Prakash Javadekar has expressed happiness that India has added two more Ramsar sites.
- They are Lonar lake in Maharashtra which is the only crater lake of the country while the other is Sur Sarovar, also known as Keetham lake in Agra of Uttar Pradesh. In a tweet, Mr Javadekar said that wetlands are the world’s natural water filters and one of the most productive ecosystems on the planet.
- The Ramsar Convention signed on 2nd February, 1971, is one of the oldest inter-governmental accord signed by member countries to preserve the ecological character of their wetlands of international importance.
- The aim of the Ramsar list is to develop and maintain an international network of wetlands which are important for the conservation of global biological diversity and for sustaining human life through the maintenance of their ecosystem components, processes and benefits. Wetlands declared as Ramsar sites are protected under strict guidelines of the convention.
Source: News on Air
“Thalapathy Vijay’s Master becomes the most-liked teaser on YouTube in India.”
- Master has become the most-liked teaser on YouTube in India. On November 14, the makers of Thalapathy Vijay’s much-anticiapated film, Master, unveiled the film’s teaser.
- Since then, the video has been trending on internet and it has garnered rave response from both audiences as well as critics. The producers of the film, XB Film Creations, announced that Master teaser has achieved a unique feat.
- Master is now the most-liked teaser on YouTube with more than 1.6 million likes within 16 hours of its release.
- One of the main highlights of the teaser is Vijay’s stylish moves and screen presence.
Source: India Today
“Library for children on tram to be launched in Kolkata.”
- The world’s first library for children on a tram would be launched in Kolkata on Children’s Day, which is celebrated to commemorate first Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru’s birth anniversary.
- The Kolkata Young Reader’s Tramcar has been jointly developed by the West Bengal Transport Corporation (WBTC) and Apeejay Anand Children’s Library and will have around 1,000 books.
- Entry is free for children. Only parents accompanying their children will have to pay normal tram fares to board it.
- Earlier in September India’s first library on tram was launched in Kolkata with a wide range of books including those for competitive exams. A similar effort was earlier initiated at Brno in the Czech Republic.
- Kolkata has the only existing tramways in India. The Kolkata Tramways have been operating since 1873 when the first tram pulled by horses started operations.
Source: Hindustan Times
“Union Labour Ministry notifies draft rules under Code on Social Security 2020.”
- Union Ministry of Labour and Employment has notified the draft rules under the Code on Social Security, 2020 inviting objections and suggestions, if any, from the stakeholders.
- Such objections and suggestions are required to be submitted within a period of 45 days from the date of notification of the draft rules.
- The draft rules provide for operationalization of provisions in the Code on Social Security, 2020 relating to Employees’ Provident Fund, Employees’ State Insurance Corporation, Gratuity, Maternity Benefit, Social Security and Cess in respect of Building and Other Construction Workers, Social Security for Unorganised Workers, Gig Workers and Platform Workers.
- The draft rules also provide for Aadhaar based registration including self-registration by unorganised workers, gig workers and platform workers on the portal of the Central Government.
- Ministry of Labour and Employment has already initiated action for development of such portal.
Source: DD News
“CSIR-SERC Develops ERS for Power Lines.”
- Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) constituent laboratory Structural Engineering Research Centre (SERC) based in Chennai has developed an indigenous technology, Emergency Retrieval System (ERS), for quick retrieval of power transmission in the event of failure of transmission line towers.
- CSIR-SERC has signed an agreement for licensing of the ERS technology with M/s Advait Infratech, Ahmedabad.
- At present, the ERS systems are imported. There are very few manufacturers across the world and the cost is relatively high. This technological development will enable the manufacturing in India for the first time, which will be an import substitute and will cost about 40% of imported systems.
- ERS has huge market requirement in India as well as in SAARC and African countries. Hence, this technological development is a big leap forward towards Atma Nirbhar Bharat and Make in India.
Source: India Ties
“RIL’s retail arm RRVL picks up 96% stake in Urban Ladder for over Rs 182 cr.”
- Billionaire Mukesh Ambani-owned Reliance Industries’ retail arm has picked up 96 per cent stake in online furniture retailer Urban Ladder for over Rs 182 crore.
- Reliance Retail Ventures Ltd (RRVL), a subsidiary of Reliance Industries (RIL) , has acquired equity shares of Urban Ladder Home Decor Solutions Pvt Ltd for a cash consideration of Rs 182.12 crore.
- The investment represents 96 per cent holding in the equity share capital of Urban Ladder.
- RRVL has a further option of acquiring the balance stake, taking its shareholding to 100 per cent of the equity share capital of Urban Ladder. Besides, RRVL has proposed to make a further investment of up to Rs 75 crore in Urban Ladder.
- The further investment is expected to be completed by December 2023.
Source: Business Standard
“PM Modi extends USD 1 million aid to COVID-19 ASEAN Response Fund.”
- Prime Minister Modi, announced USD 1 million as a contribution to the COVID-19 ASEAN Response Fund. The amount was announced during the 17th ASEAN-India summit which was held in a virtual mode.
- During his address to the leaders from 10 ASEAN (Association of Southeast Asian Nations) countries, Prime Minister Modi highlighted India’s response as well as support to the international community. He also welcomed associations’ initiatives for fighting the pandemic.
- According to the statement released by the Ministry of External Affairs, Prime Minister during the meet also underscored the significance of greater digital and physical connectivity between India and ASEAN and reiterated India’s contribution of US $ 1 billion Line of Credit for supporting ASEAN connectivity.
- The ASEAN leaders welcomed the adoption of the ASEAN-India Plan of Action for 2021-2025.
- Both India and ASEAN noted the significance of promoting an order based on rules in the region including upholding international law.
Source: Jagran Josh
“Russia’s Lakhta Center Wins Emporis Skyscraper Award 2019.”
- The Emporis Skyscraper Award, one of the world’s most renowned prizes for high-rise architecture, has been given to a 462-metre-high Lakhta Center in St Petersburg this year.
- This marks the first time that the prestigious award has gone to a project in Russia in the 20-year-long history of the award.
The skyscraper which has been, designed by GORPROJECT and RMJM, is not only the tallest building in Russia but is the tallest building in entire Europe and the fourteenth tallest building in the world.
- The winner was chosen by an international jury of experts who chose a winner from over 700 skyscrapers completed in 2019 with a minimum height of 100 meters.
- Marking its 20th anniversary this year, the prestigious Skyscraper Award by Emporis, a global provider of building data, has become an indispensable part of the international architecture scene since its introduction in 2000.
- When choosing the Lakhta Center as its favourite, the jury was impressed by the skyscraper’s unusual form.
Source: Business World
“Prominent Kannada journalist Ravi Belagere passes away at 62.”
- Noted journalist and writer Ravi Belagere (62) passed away early at his office on the premises of Hai Bangalore!, a popular Kannada tabloid, in Bengaluru, after a massive heart attack.
- Known for his writing style, Belagere was honoured with many awards, including the Karnataka Sahitya Academy award, Kannada Rajyotsava awar, Karnataka Media Academy award and many more.
- Also an educationist, Belagere started Prarthana School, where his mortal remains were kept for the public to view, before being taken to the crematorium.
- Some of his bestsellers include the Kannada translation of John Dalvi’s Himalayan Blunder, Nee Hinga Nodabyada Nanna and Indireya Maga Sanjaya. Belagere started his career as a History lecturer and worked at Ballari, Hassan and Hubballi before heading to Bengaluru in 1984.
- The veteran journalist was also associated with the people and families of gangsters of the Bheema River banks. Belagare penned a book on the real-life story of the gangsters, titled Bheema Theerada Hanthakaru, which was published in 2001, and turned into a bestseller.
Source: New Indian Express