Current Affairs Quiz: 10th January 2021
“World Hindi Day 2021: 10 January”.
- Hindi is considered to be the mother language of India. It is the simplest source of expression of our nation. It is our heritage and the most widely spoken language across the country. The word Hindi originated from the Persian word Hind, meaning the land of the Indus river.
- Apart from India, the language is also spoken in Nepal, Guyana, Trinidad and Tobago, Suriname, Fiji, and Mauritius. Therefore, to promote the Hindi language all around the world, International Hindi Day or World Hindi Day is celebrated every year.
- World Hindi Day is celebrated every year on January 10. Vishwa Hindi Divas commemorates the anniversary of the first World Hindi Conference held in Nagpur on January 10, 1975. The conference was inaugurated by the then prime minister Indira Gandhi in Nagpur.
- World Hindi Day was first celebrated in 2006 by former Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh. The aim of the conference was to promote Hindi language worldwide.
Source: India Today
“India becomes second largest manufacturer of PPE kits and suits”.
- Union Minister for textile and women and child development Smriti Irani has said that India has become the second largest manufacturer of PPE kits and suits in the world in record three months’ time during the coronavirus induced lockdown in March 2020.
- She was speaking after inaugurating – Surat International Textile Expo -SITEX at Surat, the Gujarat’s first physical exhibition after Covid19. She said that Gujarat was always ready to share knowledge on the textile industry with West Bengal. She said that industrial vibrancy like Gujarat was needed in West Bengal. She said that it is the dream of Prime Minister Narendra Modi that people from one state should go to others to gain and share knowledge. Speaking on this occasion, the Union Minister of state for women and child welfare Debasree Chaudhuri has said that industrial revolution can be brought in West Bengal, if it follows the Gujarat model.
- The three-day exhibition aimed to promote the brand ‘Surat’ by highlighting the strength of the textile sector. The exhibition is spread over 10500 square metre area where about 100 exhibitors from different parts of the country have kept their stalls.
- SITEX exhibition is providing an excellent opportunity to the entire gamut of the textile machine manufacturing sector to showcase their wide range of products and services. Around 20 textile machinery manufacturers, mostly from Surat alongwith international exhibitors are participating in this event.
Source: News on Air
“Nio Launches First Electric Sedan Model As Tesla Delivers China-built SUV”.
- Chinese electric vehicle (EV) maker Nio Inc is taking on conventional gasoline premium automakers from BMW to Audi further, launched its first sedan model as it eyes a greater share of the world’s largest car market.
- The launch of the ET7, at an event in the western city of Chengdu, came as rival Tesla started selling its China-made Model Y sport-utility vehicle in the Chinese market.
- Nio is aiming to expand its product lineup to attract more customers. In China’s passenger car market, sedans and SUVs each make up around 46% of overall sales.
- Nio’s new battery technology will give the ET7 a drive range of over 1,000 km (621 miles) between charges.
- The starting price will be 378,000 yuan ($58,378) for the car without the battery pack, one of the most expensive EV components, which can then be leased from the company. With the battery pack, the starting price is 448,000 yuan.
Source: News 18
“IIT Jammu organizes its first-ever convocation ceremony”.
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Jammu orgnised its first-ever convocation ceremony, however, it was conducted in a hybrid model.
- The ceremony was attended by 79 students. Out of the 79 graduates, 39 received their degrees while present on campus while 40 graduates were awarded their degrees online.
- The President of India Gold Medal for excellent academic performance by scoring the highest Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) across all departments was awarded to Taijaswaini Agarwal.
- The Director’s Gold Medal for outstanding all-around performance and Institute Silver Medal for scoring the highest CGPA in Computer Science and Engineering was awarded to Aakar Sharma.
- The Institute Silver Medal online for having the highest CGPA in Electrical Engineering was awarded to Shreyanshu Kumar, and the Institute Silver Medal in person for scoring the highest CGPA in Mechanical Engineering was awarded to Shubhendra Singh Yadav.
- The ceremony was chaired by the Chairman – Board of Governors, Sharad Kumar Saraf who traveled from Mumbai to Jammu for the occasion along with the director, Professor Manoj Singh Gaur, Chairman, Convocation committee, Professor Ashoke K Sarkar and Registrar, IIT Jammu- Colonel Sanjay Dahiya.
Source: India Today
“Mega Science, Tech cluster launched in Hyderabad”.
- IT and Industries Minister KT Rama Rao formally announced the launch of the Science and Technology Hyderabad Cluster, led by the State government’s Research and Innovation Circle of Hyderabad (RICH).
- The city is one of four cities selected for setting up a Science and Technology (S&T) mega cluster, an initiative of the Prime Minister’s Science, Technology and Innovation Advisory Council (PM-STIAC) to facilitate nationwide scientific collaboration.
- The creation of the Hyderabad Cluster, driven by RICH, will help discoveries and inventions in labs to move to implementation, promising to change lives of citizens.
- The Central government initiative is aimed at encouraging scientific enterprise and to push individual institutional excellence towards collective performance.
- Currently, the office of Principal Scientific Adviser (PSA) to the Government of India has proposed the establishment of mega S&T clusters in four cities that have strong organisations, institutions and industries focused on science and technology — Hyderabad, Bengaluru, National Capital Region (NCR)-Delhi and Pune.
Source: New Indian Express
“Shashi Tharoor to inaugurate National Education Policy Conclave 2021”.
- Congress leader Shashi Tharoor will inaugurate the National Education Policy Conclave 2021, organised by Clymbe, which will take place on January 12, from 4:00 pm.
- This conclave will allow students, teachers, parents and policymakers to meet on a common platform for the very first time to discuss the implementation of the NEP released in 2020.
- The conclave will delve deeper into how the school ecosystem plans to implement it over next few years.
- India’s very first directory of ‘careers of the future’ will also be released on the occasion of the conclave.
Source: India Today
“British minister Alok Sharma got an important role in climate conference”.
- Britain’s trade minister Alok Sharma, who hails from Agra in UP, has taken charge of the president of the climate conference to be held in the country, ending his role as trade minister from Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s cabinet.
- The United Nations Climate Summit COP-26 is scheduled to take place in November this year in the city of Glasgow, Scotland, for which they will assume a new charge.
- Alok Sharma has ended the role of his trade minister under a minor reshuffle in the UK cabinet.
- Alok Sharma will now focus entirely on the new one, which is to be hosted by Britain.
- Representatives from 200 countries, including India, will attend this summit to complete the Paris Agreement and deal with climate change.
- Sharma was asked by Boris Johnson to take a new charge for the purpose of advancing global action to fulfill high aspirations for this important conference.
“Odisha’s 7-year-old wonder kid clears Microsoft Technology Associate exam”.
- A seven-year-old boy from Odisha’s Bolangir district has cleared the Microsoft Technology Associate Examination. The examination is a globally recognized certification for all the aspirants who want to take up a career in technology.
- Venkat was invited by Chennai Institute of Technology as a guest speaker to motivate newly enrolled students of the college in a programme called ‘Catapult 2020’.
- Venkat also developed an app ‘Let’s Reward Kids ‘ that bagged him a spot among 26 finalists of WhiteHat Jr’s Silicon Valley Challenge. He was also featured on Yuvaa Founder Nikhil Taneja’s programme ‘Teach me something with Nikhil Taneja.’
Source: India Today
“Cherry Blossom Mao Festival held in Manipur”.
- In Manipur, the Cherry Blossom Mao Festival was held at Senapati district marking the beginning of pink season in the district. Manipur Chief Minister N. Biren Singh graced the function virtually due to the pandemic.
- The Mao area of Senapati district in Manipur is known for Cherry Blossom, a plant which is popularly known as Sakura in Japan.
- The Manipur government started organizing the festival every year from 2017 onward. However this year, the authority decided to scale down the festival due to COVID-19 pandemic.
- The festival which featured the picturesque landscape of Mao town adorned with beautiful Cherry Blossom flowers was streamed live on various social media platforms and the programs consisted of traditional dances and special ballet.
Source: News on Air
“AIMIM acting chief of Bengal unit joins TMC”.
- In a jolt to the AIMIM, which is planning to contest the Assembly election in West Bengal for the first time, the acting president of the party’s state unit joined the ruling Trinamool Congress.
- S K Abdul Kalam joined the TMC at party headquarters in Kolkata.
- Chandrima Bhattacharya, Cabinet minister and senior TMC leader, handed over the party flag to Kalam and inducted him to the party. The TMC claimed that several leaders and workers of AIMIM under Kalam joined its party.
- In November, Anwar Pasha, convener of AIMIM Bengal unit, joined the TMC.
Source: Indian Express